Monday, November 3, 2008

Back up, back up


One of the most painful lessons I learned about technology and photography is - the importance of backing up all files. I lost all my photos and other files when the hard drive of my laptop crashed.

“All the king’s horses and all the king’s men could not put Humpty Dumpty together again.” I was reminded of this line from the nursery rhyme because no computer technician could retrieve any of my important files when that happened. They were able to retrieve a few files, but not one of my photos. It’s good the computer was still under warranty when that happened so they replaced my hard drive, but not my files of course. Ouch!

I actually cried when I was told that my files could not be retrieved, and then I moved on. After that incident, I have learned to back up religiously. I now keep a photo bank for my photos and an external drive for my other files beside my computer. So every time I finish working on photos and other files, they go straight to these external devices for back up.

The photo I am sharing today is a photo I had not yet uploaded to my computer then so it was not included in that disaster. Lucky! Suddenly a thought struck me as I was writing this, - is the reason it was not included was because - “Jesus saves?” Ha ha, I could laugh about this now, but not at that time.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...