Wednesday, February 25, 2009

horned beetle


Look what I found near my door today... a horned beetle. So I got a piece of chopstick and carried the beetle on it out to my garden. I then got my camera and took several pictures.

I think the beetle must have been caught by our dogs. They usually bring to our door whatever they have been playing with. Sometimes I find bones, stones, pieces of rags, etc. They even brought a fish once...poor fish. The most "amazing" things they brought to our door however were... a paper plate together with plastic fork and spoon and a plastic glass... as if telling us that they came from a party! Ha ha.

Anyway... this beetle sure looks ferocious with its horn.

2 comments:

maggie said...

I was outdoors somewhere in the middle of Malaysia around about 1968 with my husband when one of these beetles hit me on the side of the head. We were watching a wrestling match of all things in which our nextdoor neighbour was wrestling.

The match was taking place in the middle of a field. I was sat next to the time keeper I was one of the few people that had a seat the rest of the people were standing.

After the beetle struck me on the side of my head a young boy ran over and picked it up and brought it over to me and asked me if I wanted it. I told him no thank you it was so big and fierce looking.

I wish there had been digital cameras back then I would certainly have taken a few photos of this beastie.

Your photo brought back happy memories, I am glad that you shared it with us.

Salvacion P. Angtuaco said...

Hi Maggie,
Thank you very much for your story. I thought at first that you were watching a "wrestling match" between beetles, because some people do conduct fights using beetles.

Yes, you are right. Sometimes I also wish digital cameras were around when I was still doing a lot of traveling. Films were so expensive then so they really limited our picture taking activities.

Thanks again for the visit and comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget