Thursday, September 9, 2010

Have you seen a "higad" (caterpillar) close-up?

For the past weeks and month, we have been having "higad" galore. There is an acacia tree in our front yard and this tree is one of their favorite hangouts. We usually encounter the "higad" hanging by a silvery thread from the tree. They are so small such that you usually don't see them before it's too late. Too late means you have them on your skin or your hair and of course your will get the allergic reaction. This is the reason why I always try to avoid them - I get itchy all over once they contact my skin.

I am however curious how these little creepy crawlers look like in close-up. So I got a small twig from our acacia tree and took photos of them. It's no wonder they are so itchy. Just look at their bristles! Ugh! They are so ugly yet so beautiful too. Their symmetry and color are fantastic. Don't you agree?

 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...