Thursday, March 26, 2009

fire dancing


Hello, I just got back from my short break late last night. I actually visited my favorite island, Boracay, and I also visited my mom.

One of the activities that usually takes place at night in Boracay is fire dancing at the beach. The performer holds in both hands a "poi" which is a pair of chain which has lighted wicks at the other end. He/she then swings around this pair of chain as he/she dances to the rhythm of drums and music.

During daytime, the performers actually willingly teach any interested group the fundamentals of fire dancing. I tried my hand at this but could not synchronize the movements of my right and left hands. Ha ha. We did not use actual fire of course. We just used strips of cloth attached to chains.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...